Sunday, July 27, 2008

Comment on book "interpersonal skills at work" by John Hayes

This is the very first book that I ever read on interpersonal skills (or people skills). It's a book provides a thorough theoretical discussion on all the aspects of people skills that may involve. Although such book won't immediately gives me tips on dealing with people, it's a wonderful book for me, an engineering nerd to gain some insights on know how and why the people skills may involve. I've been too "green", I've been too naive, to social skills. This book answers or confirms me that social skills are an behavioral science that involves ample strict scientific study, that indeed deserve reading to be aware of the people skills that we encountered every day every moment in working environment and social life. To enlighten myself to keep track of my awareness, I am bulleting down some important key words that may help me thinking of later on:

1) Listening (the skills I am actually pretty lack off!)
2) Listening to non-verbal messages (I should pay more aware on it)
3) Questioning and the information getting interview (after the interview process, I feel quite informed with this aspect, especially the point: use open questions for the interview)
4) presenting information to others
5) Helping and faciliating (Gee! I never can think help can have so many different styles that may make your love it or hate it! You may help by advising, supporting, challenging or information gathering)
6) Asserting and influencing ( this is obviously what I am lacking or not strong with. )
7) Negotiating (My negotiation with Logitech is so lame... But the tricks they play totally demonstrate all the possible contending tactics, including imposing time pressure, hold firm, making it costly to continue to negotiate, persuasive argument). Instead, my strategy is flexible tactics, which may seem too lame or weak by the other party)
8) working with groups (very helpful! group interaction process tells a lot of the group that you need to be aware and get used to it. Observe frequency and duration of communication, , communication patterns will help to diagnose the group environment. Role functions are very diversified. To contribute the group more efficiently, employees need to try to involve more role functions: task roles: initiator, information seeker, opinion seeker, information giver, opinion giver, elaborator, evaluator/critic, coordinator, decision manager, recorder, supporter/follower. Maintainence roles: encourager, gatekeeper, mediator, compromiser, standard setter.
9) manging relationships more effectively. (three ego states: parent, adult or child. Never think you are a new grad and treat self as a child anymore!)

I am glad that I encounter this book and get to know the interesting theory that are embeded in everywhere. So next time, when I have nothing to say, I should treat myself experiencing an interesting game that nobody knows by observing the others and try to understand more!

No comments: